The school counsellors at GES work closely with students, teachers, parents and resources in the community, to enhance the overall learning experience of each child.
GES seeks to develop emotional as well as academic intelligence and to encourage each child to be a successful learner, a confident individual, a responsible citizen and an effective contributor. These life skills can be transferred from school to higher education and ultimately into employment and beyond.
School counselling in GES will offer the following:
- Counsellors in GES will offer an open door policy, where all students can access support.
- Behavioural support :– managing their behaviour in school, stress management, communication skills
- Emotional support: - encouraging and giving guidance where they have difficulties with fellow students, teachers etc.
- Social support: - peer relationships, self esteem, confidence building, social interaction, communication, and guidance re social media/social networking.
- Academic support:- learning styles, study skills, study organisation/ planning, and healthy lifestyle.
- Students at GES are encouraged to make their own appointments, and can also be referred by teachers, pastoral staff and family.
- In addition to working with school management and class teachers, the counsellor may also liaise with outside agencies such as speech and language therapists, occupational therapists and paediatricians
- Counsellors at GES will begin addressing the need by gathering information this usually happens in consultation with the student. It may also involve speaking with school staff or conducting a lesson or playground observation.
- The counsellor can then assess the issues and formulate a plan of action. Intervention can take many forms including advice giving to parents or teachers, whole school or classroom strategies, group work or individual work. Regular feedback and evaluation will be given to those involved.
- GES counsellors are available to see parents by appointment, an open door policy is adopted as far as possible but calling the school will allow you to secure your preferred appointment time.
- An interpreter can be present at any time you wish and confidentiality will be maintained at all times
You may reach the counselor via the our contact page.